Cardiovascular Care in Reno, Nevada
Diagnosing and Treating Heart Disease
Northern Nevada Sierra Medical Center provides comprehensive cardiac services to residents of Reno, Sparks and surrounding areas of northern Nevada with services ranging from hospital-based heart care, an established Heart Failure Program, Heart and Lung Surgery, a Structural Heart Program, and Outpatient Cardiology.
In an Emergency
If you or a person you are with experiences a possible cardiac emergency, call 9-1-1 immediately!
Heart Disease Risk Factors
Risk factors for heart disease include:
- High blood cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- Physical inactivity
- Genetic history of heart disease
- Heavy use of tobacco products and/or alcohol
Signs of a Heart Attack
If you experience symptoms of a heart attack, call 9-1-1. Symptoms can include:
- Chest pain
- Pain or discomfort that spreads to the shoulder, arm, back, neck, jaw, teeth or upper belly
- Cold sweat
- Heartburn or indigestion
- Shortness of breath
How to Diagnose Heart Disease
There are various tests that can be used to diagnose heart disease. In addition to blood tests and a chest x-ray, diagnostic tests can include:
- Electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG): An EKG records the electrical signals in your heart to determine if the heart is beating too fast or too slowly.
- Echocardiogram: A sound wave is used to develop images showing how blood moves through the heart and heart valves.
- Stress tests: Patients are asked to perform physical activities while the heart is monitored to observe how to heart responds to physical exertion.
- Heart CT scan: A 360 degree x-ray is taken of your chest to collect images of your heart.
- Heart MRI scan: A magnetic field and computer-generated radio waves are use to create images of the heart.